A second team for Melbourne

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager
Posts: 2906
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:59 pm
Location: Shipwrecked and comatose

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby TC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Freeze wrote:I recently read an article that Cairns and PNG looking at submitting a proposal to enter a Team into the NRL.

Can't remember where it was though :(


SMH.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/png-and-cairns-investigate-joint-nrl-bid-20180302-p4z2g4.html

Makes a lot more sense than a second Victorian team.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately

ALX22
Hail Storm
Hail Storm
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby ALX22 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm

HA HA HA HA nice PR talk from Greenturd to take away from allowing Lodge back in.
#LodgeOut

User avatar
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 2136
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: balls deep in your love...
Contact:

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby LESStar58 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 pm

TC wrote:
Freeze wrote:I recently read an article that Cairns and PNG looking at submitting a proposal to enter a Team into the NRL.

Can't remember where it was though :(


SMH.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/png-and-cairns-investigate-joint-nrl-bid-20180302-p4z2g4.html

Makes a lot more sense than a second Victorian team.


Port Moresby or bust. Joint ventures with Cairns or Darwin are a joke IMO.

User avatar
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 am

The big concern over a PNG team has never been fan numbers and relates exclusively to financial viability.

Can they generate enough money to cover the significant costs of running a professional RL team? Being a poor country, they cannot rely on ticket sales. Corporate support would be very, very difficult.

It’s a shame. The PNG people are so passionate about the game.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:28 am

A few of you blokes, while you have all the Testosterone in the world; don't understand simple finance. I reaslise a lot of you whizz kids are still living at home off your daddy's' allowances so I will graphically try and explain it to you. First of all; let me introduce myself. I work at the top end of town. Spring St. I am a major financier and understand the numbers and figures that drive things.

Melbourne is the No 1 option for Goldberg; because from a commercial perspective; other than Sydney; Melbourne is very easily the No 1 commercial hub with the highest advertising dollar. So for the NRL it is about one thing and one thing alone - bang for your buck! Melbourne holds a massive appeal from an advertising perspective because it has money; growth and power. It is only getting bigger and will be Australia's largest city in 10 years time. Bigger than Steak and Kidney.

The NRL sees this and knows it needs a game in Melbourne; every single week. Melbourne is the new "heartland".

Even Perth is hardly big enough to sustain a team as the Western Force and Western Reds/Perth Reds debacle showed. I am talking adverting dollar. I am talking about what Goldberg actually talks about in the halls of NRL house with his board. I am talking about who really run the game of Rugby League. I am talking about the people who actually run everything in the world.

The Accountants.

Cairns and PNG are areas that will make the finance people grow grey hair. They are not financially viable.

The A-League example doesn't count because soccer in this country shoots itself in the foot; every single chance that it can. Look at former Liverpool player Craig Johnson’s comments about the A-League today. It is a shambles of self interest. But even the A-League struggles to look after teams outside the Eastern Sea Board because there is no advertising dollar in places like Perth and Adelaide and Northern Queensland and the Northern Territory.

A second NRL team in Melbourne makes commercial sense from an advertising dollar. That is the No 1 driver of growth - everywhere!

Leave the decision making to us Accountants. We run the World.

Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:08 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Lucas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 am

Don't pretend you're an accountant. It's undignified.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 am

I know all non-accountants see us as dirty scum buckets. But we do run the world.

Because money talks! Everything else is just some ones opinion.

I'm a CPA. Have been for 30 years. O0

Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:08 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Lucas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 am

You're an unemployed uni student. No one else would have the spare time to post all your ramblings.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

When you own your own business and other people work for you, you have plenty of time.

I don't get paid to work; I get paid to think.

lots of thinking is going on at NRL central atm and most of it is trying to model where they want to be in 2050; when Melbourne is the biggest city in Australia with two hugely successful NRL teams.

User avatar
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:04 am

Jesus Christ... Here we go...

Cameron wrote:A few of you blokes, while you have all the Testosterone in the world; don't understand simple finance. I reaslise a lot of you whizz kids are still living at home off your daddy's' allowances so I will graphically try and explain it to you. First of all; let me introduce myself. I work at the top end of town. Spring St. I am a major financier and understand the numbers and figures that drive things.


Look out! Big player in the house guys!

Cameron wrote:It is only getting bigger and will be Australia's largest city in 10 years time. Bigger than Steak and Kidney.


Weird... I would have thought you genius Finance types would have the simple ability to visit the ABS website and projected population growth rates for Australian cities. Sydney will still have a larger population in 50 years time. Do some basic f*cking research before you big note yourself and mouth off.

Cameron wrote:Melbourne is the new "heartland".


Idiotic statement, even for you.

Cameron wrote:Even Perth is hardly big enough to sustain a team as the Western Force and Western Reds/Perth Reds debacle showed. I am talking adverting dollar. I am talking about what Goldberg actually talks about in the halls of NRL house with his board. I am talking about who really run the game of Rugby League. I am talking about the people who actually run everything in the world. The Accountants.


Perth can sustain two successful AFL teams but the failure of a Super Rugby team you automatically tie to lack of corporate support? You do realise the success of professional sports teams relies on people supporting the game? If the people love it, the corporates will follow. Corporate support is but one piece of the bigger puzzle.

Cameron wrote:A second NRL team in Melbourne makes commercial sense from an advertising dollar. That is the No 1 driver of growth - everywhere!


As above, corporate support is not the driver. People supporting the game at all levels, is. People need to love the game to attend/watch at home to ensure corporate interest. It's quite simple really...

Cameron wrote:Leave the decision making to us Accountants. We run the World.


Yeah, righto. Looking at numbers in a spreadsheet does not correlate to any real world business nous, champ. Might I suggest sticking to what you are good at, borderline incoherent internet rambling/trolling.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 am

People are far less important. Not in todays world.

It is not the 1960s any more.

Perth is a chance but the AFL example is not relevant because AFL is like a religion in Western Australia. So you have a captive audience. Rugby League and Union have no foothold there so you are going to have substantial set up costs. A “Loss leader” so to speak. Without any guarantee of success; infact, failure examples in both Rugby codes.

Corporate dollar; advertising dollar; money “paid up” in the bank; tv rights; an already established infrastructure with no upfront costs; no debt; those are the important things.

These are not ramblings; they are gospel

The gospel of the NRL.

User avatar
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am

Using your brilliant accounting intellect, please explain why a successful business would sponsor a team in a city that is supported by no-one?

Why would a TV rights deal garner greater revenue when no-one in the market will tune in to games?

How would a team in such a city recover the gap between operating costs and NRL grant money p.a.?

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 am

That is the practical landscape of Australia.

Between 2004 and 2011, according to Commercial Economic Advisory Service of Australia, NSW’s share of advertising in media grew 1.6 percentage points from 43.3% to 44.9%. Actual spend grew 33%, $79.9m to $105.9m. Victorian share of spend rose 1.8 percentage points from 35.7% to 37.5%.
That is 82.4% of total media advertising in Australia is out of those two cities.
There is very limited advertising money in Adelaide, Perth or Cairns. The two cities that have money and advertising are Melbourne and Sydney. Melbourne and Sydney are global business centres. Even Brisbane is miles and miles and miles behind. Melbourne and Sydney give those who advertise more bang for their buck due to population sizes.

User avatar
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:08 pm
Location: Living next door to Alice

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby Danger D » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 am

Cameron wrote:I know all non-accountants see us as dirty scum buckets.


You're wrong: we don't see you at all.

User avatar
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: A second team for Melbourne

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 am

Cameron wrote:That is the practical landscape of Australia.

Between 2004 and 2011, according to Commercial Economic Advisory Service of Australia, NSW’s share of advertising in media grew 1.6 percentage points from 43.3% to 44.9%. Actual spend grew 33%, $79.9m to $105.9m. Victorian share of spend rose 1.8 percentage points from 35.7% to 37.5%.
That is 82.4% of total media advertising in Australia is out of those two cities.
There is very limited advertising money in Adelaide, Perth or Cairns. The two cities that have money and advertising are Melbourne and Sydney. Melbourne and Sydney are global business centres. Even Brisbane is miles and miles and miles behind. Melbourne and Sydney give those who advertise more bang for their buck due to population sizes.


You didn't answer one of my questions.


Return to “Melbourne Storm”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

cron