Munster told to Pull His Head In!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: Munster told to Pull His Head In!

Postby Mattpoet » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Why is this thread now about Lodge? Irrelevant.

mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Postby mystormboys » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Mattpoet wrote:Why is this thread now about Lodge? Irrelevant.

I have no idea I just happened to mention his name - not my fault that a whole article went up about him

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 am

Lodge is relevant - he went on a drunken rampage and hurt people yet he hardly gets a mention.

Where as Cameron Munster has virtually done nothing and the media is all over him.

The media treats some people very badly and some get away with carnage.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:20 pm

And just before the season starts at the NRL launch. The great Cameron Smith delivers "THE MUNSTER redemption" speech.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 732f753f96

Storm captain Cameron Smith reveals Cameron Munster’s reaction to criticism

Storm

March 1, 2018 12:09pm|
by James Hooper and Ben Glover|
Source: FOX SPORTS

Cameron Munster ‘copped his whacks’ in the pre-season.Cameron Munster ‘copped his whacks’ in the pre-season.Source: AAP

STORM captain Cameron Smith says the club’s troubled five-eighth Cameron Munster has turned the corner after a rocky off-season and is well on his way to sorting out the “small issues he has”.

Munster was pulled into line by Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy last year after the young playmaker got into a physical altercation with Ben Hunt while in camp with the Kangaroos during the World Cup.

That story prompted reports that the Storm were considering drastic action, with one NRL.com story suggesting he was close to getting released.

Senior Storm players like Billy Slater are helping Cameron Munster with his development.Senior Storm players like Billy Slater are helping Cameron Munster with his development.Source: AAP

While Bellamy denied a release had been discussed, the strong reaction inside and outside the club has sparked a change in Munster, according to his skipper.

“To Cameron’s credit he’s been fantastic since I came back to training, I’ve been back about five weeks now,” Smith told Fox Sports.

“The way he’s applied himself to his training, he seems very focused on his rugby league, he seems very focused on his life away from the field as well.

“He’s doing a lot of things away from training in his own life to help him sort out some small issues that he has.

“I know he’s copped his whacks over the past month from people in our club, from people outside our club.

“But to his credit he’s only a young man, he’s made some steps forward himself to better himself outside of football.”

Those steps include finding his equilibrium with the demon drink, with Bellamy last month admitting Munster’s issues were mostly alcohol related.

“Deep down he’s a really good kid. I think everyone really likes him,” Bellamy told Channel 7.

“Early he had some rough edges we had to fold off a touch. Following that World Cup he just seemed to lose his way there for a little bit.

“At times, he has some issues every now and then when he drinks alcohol.

“He needs to temper that and understand how much he can drink or can’t drink so he doesn’t do silly things.”

Munster’s responsibility within the Storm set-up will grow significantly in 2018, with the 23-year-old assuming the role of the premiers’ senior half following the departure of Cooper Cronk.

Having already conquered the Origin arena with an outstanding debut and winning two man of the match awards for the Kangaroos during the World Cup, Munster is starting to gain a reputation as a player who can be depended upon on the field.

However Smith said he would be expected to match his on-field consistency with what he does away from the training paddock — and only then will he reach his full potential.

“I think I’m looking for the same thing he produces on the field from us, the consistency,” Smith said.

“Craig has always spoken about that in his time as head coach, that if you can build consistency into your life away from football, it brings consistency on the field as well.”

Cameron Munster has a big role to play for the Storm in 2018.Cameron Munster has a big role to play for the Storm in 2018.Source: Getty Images

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 am

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mal-meninga-backs-cameron-munster-to-reclaim-kangaroos-jersey-with-big-storm-season/news-story/a5d2e9bf2129dd234bb353524e9d630a

Mal Meninga backs Cameron Munster to reclaim Kangaroos jersey with big Storm season
AAP
MARCH 7, 2018

MONTHS after sending Cameron Munster home from Kangaroos camp, Mal Meninga has backed the Melbourne playmaker to reclaim his Test jersey in a standout 2018 NRL season.

Munster was on thin ice with Meninga after it was claimed the Storm star was banished from Australia’s 2017 World Cup campaign last November for coming to blows with teammate Ben Hunt.

Munster, 23, was eventually welcomed back to the Kangaroos camp a game later before Australia’s semi-final clash.

The Storm were forced to deny pre-season reports that they had become frustrated with the young gun’s off-field behaviour and were considering releasing him.

All now seems to be forgiven for Munster with Meninga backing him to step up for Melbourne in the absence of Sydney Roosters recruit Cooper Cronk this year.

He has been named at fullback, replacing veteran Billy Slater (shoulder) for Saturday night’s NRL season-opener against Canterbury in Perth.

“I think he will go to another level after playing Origin last year and being picked in the Kangaroos,” Meninga told Fox League’s Queenslanders Only.

“A few things happened in the off-season for him but he’s at Melbourne ... I think that is the best environment for him.

“With Cooper Cronk not being there I think he has to step up and I think that he can.

“I think he will have enormous impact on the Storm’s success.

“I think he will get back into Origin and maybe the Kangaroos at the back end of the year.” Munster is about to begin his fifth NRL season after a 2017 campaign that featured a premiership plus State of Origin and Test debuts before losing his way at the World Cup.

Storm skipper Cameron Smith admitted before the 2018 kick-off that Munster must address his off-field behaviour if he wanted to become a “special player”.

Munster was also among eight players who were hit with a 12-month Origin ban by coach Kevin Walters for breaking curfew at the 2016 Emerging Maroons camp.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 am

I'm sure those are welcome words to Munster who was hit quite hard in the media for something so small.

I agree with Mal, I think Munster is in for a huge year.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:43 am

I backed CM on Sportsbet to win the Dally M 5/8th of the year.

I reckon CM is our next break out player.

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 am

How can one breakout when he' already broken out?

Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Deadpool » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:43 am

So a QLD and Australia rep player is gunna have a break out year? Yeah ok

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:51 am

He can take his game to an even higher level ie best player in the team.

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am

That's a little different to "our next breakout player"

Also NAS is the correct answer to breakout player and possibly best player on the team.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am

In my opinion, Munster hasn't broken out yet. He is still basically slowly bubbling away. His "break out" year; is this year when he cements his place in the Qld and Aust sides. He has currently played 1 SOO game and 2 tests and only 66 games for the Storm. This is his "break out" year.

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 am

Depends how you define breakout, is it when he cements his spit in fg or when he becomes a star?

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am

True.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 am

Mattpoet wrote:Depends how you define breakout, is it when he cements his spit in fg or when he becomes a star?

Munster has already done both.

Usually when commentators refer to a player having a "breakout" year, it is when the player is playing NRL week to week, putting in good performances with the wider NRL community taking a particular interest in the player. The term could be applied to JAC last year and Munster in 2016 (maybe even 2015).

Munster could still improve yet (which I am hopeful and confident of this year) but I wouldn't refer to it as his "breakout" year.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”