We don't have this magical fairy dust

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We don't have this magical fairy dust

Postby Cameron » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/16/lif ... rne-storm/

"We don't have this magical fairy dust though, it's really up to the individual to buy into the stuff the coaches teach and train them to do," O'Brien said.

"We've had players in the past that have come own and don't have that attitude. We've got tremendous faith in Brodie but what's important for him is we don't need him to be Cooper Cronk.

"It's about getting the best out of Brodie himself. But not necessarily just him. Ryley Jacks had a fair season in the games he played and Jahrome Hughes is another guy that has shown he's a handy footballer.

"Felise Kaufusi and Will Chambers will play a big part in that too - both inside and outside of Brodie … assisting the loss of Cooper either with the footy or without in defence."

“I’d imagine Brodie will get first go at (No.7). He did a really good job when he played there for three or four games, so he gets first shot. We’ve also got Ryley Jacks there and some other younger blokes.

“Jahrome Hughes can play a few positions in the backline and another young kid (former Australian Schoolboys half) Scott Drinkwater has played a bit in the halves and at fullback. He’s a pretty exciting player as well. So between those guys we’ll find something.

“They’re not going to be Cooper Cronks as no-one else is. They’ll be their own person and bring their own strengths to the team.”

Cronk's defection to Bondi immediately came with added pressure, and in the only statistic that could prove the Australian halfback could struggle without Smith and Slater by his side, he played without them in 15 games during his 323-game career for a six-win and nine-loss record.

The 40 per cent winning percentage is the lowest of all combinations.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Re: We don't have this magical fairy dust

Postby Cameron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 am

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 0mm6z.html

NRL 2018: Brodie Croft takes early No.7 Melbourne Storm claim, says Jason Ryles

Life after Cooper Cronk at NRL premiers Melbourne Storm hasn't changed too much, according to assistant Jason Ryles.

However, ex-Test prop Ryles admits the Storm will soon feel the classy halfback's absence despite Brodie Croft placing an early claim on Cronk's vacant No.7 jersey.

Ryles joked that Sydney Roosters recruit Cronk hadn't been missed at Storm pre- season training so far - probably because the playmaker isn't usually back from representative duty by now anyway.

But Ryles believed 20-year-old Croft had already showed he could fill the void left by 323-game Storm No.7 Cronk.

"Not too much has changed at the minute but I am sure it is going to"

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:59 am

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8eb62927b1

Melbourne have been training five-eighth Ryley Jacks at hooker during the pre-season.

The 25-year-old spent the final 20 minutes of the Storms trial against Newcastle slotting into the No.9 position in a sign that Craig Bellamy could be set to use Jacks in a utility style role thus season. Cameron Smith’s back-up hooker Brandon Smith has been training at rake and lock.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Jacks was always going to be in competition with Brandon for a bench utility role. Brandon has to be better suited though and have the inside track, one would think.

NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby NevilleB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Good option either way. Jacks can cover the halves and hooker whereas Brandon can go hooker and lock. I prefer brandon

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:04 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f95ed6abc0

CAMERON Smith says new Storm halfback Brodie Croft will be managed through his first season in the purple No.7 jersey using a Craig Bellamy formula road tested on the great Melbourne captain himself.

As with any young player who comes into a side in a key position, one of the biggest fears for Cooper Cronk’s replacement is his ability to be consistent through 25 rounds plus finals.

Speaking to Fox Sports, Smith confirmed the issue had been discussed in Melbourne and would likely result in Croft being rotated out of first grade at certain times in 2018.

But it’s not something Croft should worry about — in 2003 it was Smith being rotated by Bellamy, forming the foundation of one of the greatest rugby league careers ever.

“I think Craig has done that throughout his coaching career in Melbourne,” Smith said.

“I remember when I first started out in 2003, my first full season in 2003, I played six or seven matches to start the year and then I was moved back to the interchange bench, just to give me a bit of a break because it’s a big ask for the young guys to come in and play that type of intensity every week.

“He’s playing in a key position for us and there’s no doubt there’s going to be a fairly big target on his back when he plays against opposition teams.”

It’s at these times that Cronk’s loss will be most keenly felt, although Smith said there was every reason to be confident in the other young halves being groomed by the club.

Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy have built massive success together.Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy have built massive success together.Source: News Corp Australia
“At times we may see a slight rotation of that position, with guys like Ryley Jacks, Jahrome Hughes and Scott Drinkwater,” Smith said.

“But at the moment Brodie is training extremely hard and he’s giving himself a good opportunity to start the season really well.”

Already Croft is considered a Queensland Origin star of the future and his looks and mannerisms have drawn even more comparisons with Cronk than you might expect from a young gun replacing one of the best halfbacks of his generation.

However Smith said there were no expectations from within the club for Croft to influence games in the same way as his 34-year-old predecessor.

Quite the contrary, Smith said the expectations had been laid out simply and clearly.

“I think the key messages to Brodie this year is to play to his strengths,” Smith said.

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

Brodie Croft has some outstanding senior players around him.Brodie Croft has some outstanding senior players around him.Source: Getty Images

“It’s not about trying to perform like Cooper Cronk did or to bring what Cooper brought to our side.

“He’s quite a different player although many people remark about the similar looks, the similar traits on the field.

“He’s got some different areas of skill to his game to Cooper and we’ve got to remember he’s only a kid, he’s 20 years of age, he’s played four NRL matches and he’s just starting out his career, so for me the messaging to him has just been about bringing his strengths to our game.

“Making sure that he’s working extremely hard through the week in preparation for every match, which he does already, and to give himself every opportunity to play consistently well.

“That’s what we need out of him this year, we don’t need anything out of him other than his best every week.”

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:59 pm

They are trying very hard to keep expectations as low as possible. I'm sure they're worried about Croft's workload. Be interesting to see where they think they can get away with not having him there.

Smith came off the bench early in the season (round 4/5) and from what I can tell only missed one game (round 18). Different circumstances though.

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby sallymay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:29 pm

I get the feeling they wont play brodie at 7 every game...they will switch between ryley and brodie all yr

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Which would be unbelievably terrible.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 pm

“We want consistency”.
- Inconsistent selections

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:09 pm

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... h956wem8hx

Melbourne Storm's Josh Addo-Carr reveals his night in jail

He might be flying in Melbourne Storm colours these days, but it could have been a very different story for Josh Addo-Carr whose brush with the law five years ago ensured the winger found the right path.

Having only just linked up with South Sydney’s junior talent development system, the now 22-year-old failed to report to police while on good behaviour for a common assault charge and was subsequently picked up by police.

“I got locked up over night," he revealed on The Locker Room .

"That was probably the worst night of my life.

“I breached my bail and the coppers were there waiting for me. I’ll never forget it.

"That night it changed my life.”

Faced with a freezing cold shower, leftovers for food and a complete lack of freedom, the night behind bars was an awakening experience.

"It’s hard to explain. Just felt rubbish," Addo-Carr said.

"It just wasn’t the person I am.

"That was a huge wake-up call."

Released by Souths as a result of his run in with the law, the Storm star wouldn't give up on his rugby league dream and a year later earned a place in the Sharks U20 side before being poached by the Tigers after two seasons.

After just one year at Leichhardt, Addo-Carr would make his move to the Storm where he'd have a season to remember scoring two tries in Melbourne's grand final win.

A long way away from the night he spent locked behind bars.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:04 am

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1b0564c7e7

Cooper Cronk’s parting gesture in handing Melbourne Storm keys to Brodie Croft

BRODIE Croft has officially moved in.
In the final move of the halves transition, Cooper Cronk delivered a figurative toss of the keys and handed control of the Melbourne kingdom to the rookie half.

Cronk has cleared out for his new start in Bondi and Croft has moved in.

But claiming Cronk’s coveted No.7 jersey isn’t the only big move the half has made.

The Melbourne youngster has also taken over the premiership winner’s locker.

“It was pretty special actually,” Croft explained.

“The first day of pre-season when I came in, I got given his locker that he sat in for the last 13, 14, 15 years - however long he was at the club.

“That took a bit to get used to.

“It felt like I was sitting in his locker.

“The boys have been good about telling me you’ve got to make that locker your own now and go from there.”

Croft joined the Melbourne system in 2016 after springing onto the Storm’s radar as a teen in the under 18s competition in Brisbane.

Running riot in the NYC in his rookie season, Croft went on to make his first grade debut in 2016.

Last season the No.7 was eased into the action throughout stages of the year but spent the bulk of 2017 playing for Easts in the Queensland Cup.

With six top flight games to his name, the 20-year-old is ready to assume control.

“I learnt a lot off him in those two years,” Croft said.

“I looked up to him as a kid. I’ve learnt so much walking in his footsteps pretty much every day at training.

“It’s different not having him around there but I believe I’ve learnt a lot from him that I can now go out there and do it myself.”

Having served his apprenticeship under Cronk, Croft said his mentor has filled him with the belief that can carry the club into the future.

It all starts on Saturday night when the Storm travel to Perth to kick-off their season against the Bulldogs.

“When he left we sat down and we spoke about it all and he was really good about it,” he said.

“Wished me all the best and he put a lot of confidence in me, saying he believes in me and believed I was ready for it now.”

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:36 am

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-storm/melbourne-storm-coach-craig-bellamy-reveals-the-simple-secret-to-having-a-strong-club-culture/news-story/d91db7ed9b33af86d239ac6bba96a909

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy reveals the simple secret to having a strong club culture
PAUL KENT
MARCH 6, 2018

EVERY coach in every sport claims a strong culture. Even the failing clubs. The irony is most coaches get it wrong because they over-complicate it. Craig Bellamy’s secret at Melbourne Storm is simple.

CRAIG Bellamy was out a few weeks ago talking to business leaders from a Melbourne company. The conversation got around to what it always gets around to, the grand secret.

Leadership.

Bellamy is not only blessed with the best culture in rugby league, the Storm are the greatest team in Australian sport. They are a club comparable to the best of any team around the world.

A lot of credit for Melbourne’s culture goes to the senior playing group. It is almost a jealousy, a quiet dismissal that culture is easy to drive when you have a playing group like Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Ryan Hoffman, Jesse Bromwich and Cooper Cronk.

Bellamy got to talking to these business leaders about leadership and environment and all those buzzwords that must be part of these conversations.

“When you’re coach or captain and you’ve been at the club a long time, I reckon the club values, basically, are your values,” he said.

“Because you’ve been in charge for that long, that’s your responsibility. You’ve got to run this.”

Culture is one of the great misunderstandings of sport.

Every coach in every sport claims a strong culture at his club. Even the failing clubs.

To suggest anything else is a great insult. Tell a coach his team’s culture sucks and you might as well tell him he doesn’t know tactics or you are sleeping with his wife. They suffer the insult equally.

The irony is most coaches get it wrong because they over-complicate it. They set standards and try to wriggle around them when the wrong player breaks the rule. The first thing the players then realise is that the non-negotiable standards are completely negotiable, and often depending on your level of talent.

Bellamy’s secret is simple. Consistency and simplicity.

“My values are simple but they are black and white,” he said. “There ain’t no grey areas there.”

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am

Nice one yourhero. That is a great article. And exemplifies that the Melbourne Storm way is to simplify the game and to work as hard as you can. No magic fairy dust; just "gut busting" hard work and the spirit of the Three Musketeers.

"All for one and One for all!"

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Scooter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm

That is why so many fringe players at other clubs (or Wagga bound players for that matter) have done well at Melbourne. It is about showing you are willing to work hard during pre-season and then during the season being given one role and if you perform that role well you keep getting picked in the team.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”