World Club Challenge

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: World Club Challenge

Postby yourhero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Cooper who???

Croft killing it.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Billy’s shoulder... I noticed him favour the arm as soon as it happened and thought, “Oh no”...

Fingers crossed it was just a scare and taken off purely as a precaution.

Bullucked
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Bullucked » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Can Munster pass the ball?

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Bullucked wrote:Can Munster pass the ball?

Croft is picking up the slack :lol:

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Still very early but I think we’re going to be ok with our new halfback.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 pm

He was just as good tonight as he was in his NRL games to date. Hard to be anything but excited with what he has done so far.

Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Deadpool » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Thought everybody played really well tonight. Obviously the standout was Croft. Thought Munster was great when he went to fullback, he needs to be fullback when Slater retires, I don’t care what anyone says, he is a better fullback then 5/8. NAS looked great. Good to see Welch back and geez our wingers are exciting to watch. Overall good game and fingers crossed that Slater is ok

RobbieRoss
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby RobbieRoss » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Deadpool wrote:Thought everybody played really well tonight. Obviously the standout was Croft. Thought Munster was great when he went to fullback, he needs to be fullback when Slater retires, I don’t care what anyone says, he is a better fullback then 5/8. NAS looked great. Good to see Welch back and geez our wingers are exciting to watch. Overall good game and fingers crossed that Slater is ok

Spot on. Also great to see Brandon Smith doing well in both attack and defence.

Fingers crossed indeed re Billy. He will be desperate to play in Cameron's testimonial next week, but round 1 is more important .

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 am

Great night had by all. We had front row seats.

I thought Leeds were great except in the 10 metres before their try line and our try line.

We just seem to be the same juggernaut. Rolling ON!

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 am

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9b4aa877ee

Nervous for Melbourne wait after Billy Slater shoulder scare
NRL PREMIERSHIP

Billy Slater goes down on his left arm.

BILLY Slater, our fingers and toes are crossed.
The superstar fullback has had a horror run of shoulder injuries and on Friday night he’s had another scare.

The details are murky but league fans everywhere are sending their well wishes.

Racing back into his in-goal to clean up a kick from Leeds, Slater was ankle tapped as he stuck his arm out, landing awkwardly on the AAMI Park surface.

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

He immediately winced in pain, clutching his left arm.

“I just fell on my shoulder a little bit awkward trying to get out of the in goal,” Slater told Channel Nine after Melbourne’s 38-4 World Club Challenge victory.

Slater's shoulder scareSlater's shoulder scare0:45
“It was a little bit of pain to start with but it’s settled down really well

“It was just before halftime so I just thought given it’s my first game. It’s just one of those things where your arm slides out underneath you. It’s not the best position.”

Melbourne’s Twitter account delivered a message shortly after halftime stating Slater “won’t return tonight purely as a precaution after jarring his shoulder during the first half.”

We hope that’s all it is.

He’s already been through so much.

His last shoulder injury saw his tendon ripped from the bone.

It should’ve been career ending.

Billy Slater goes down injured.
Billy Slater goes down injured.
Source: FOX SPORTS
His second in as many years but the champion did what champions do best. They inspire.

He returned to his best in a matter of games.

Many questioned whether he’d play rep footy again. He missed Queensland’s State of Origin season opener, only to return for the final two games.

History shows us they won both.

After adding another premiership to his name, he re-signed with the Storm for a further season.

He’d wear the No.1 for Australia too.

Melbourne's shaky startMelbourne's shaky start0:30
Here’s hoping the initial reports are true and the fullback will be fit and raring to go round one.

The classy custodian deserves to finish on his terms.

“I was involved in the play just after that. It wasn’t super serious,” he said.

“We’ll just err on the side of caution and hopefully everything’s ok and I’ll be alright in the next couple of days.

“ … we did talk about getting a scan but I’ll just see how I pull up tomorrow and the strength in it and if we feel we need to get a scan, we’ll get a scan.”

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 am

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/live-w ... f926eedf73

Brodie Croft stars, Billy Slater injured in Melbourne’s World Club Challenge win over Leeds
LEAGUE
John Dean
February 17, 2018 6:41am

Melbourne youngster Brodie Croft has starred in Friday night’s 38-4 win over Leeds in the 2018 World Club Challenge.

All eyes were on the 20-year-old as he ran out at AAMI Park in the Storm No.7, the jersey Cooper Cronk owned for 12 years before his departure at the end of last season.

But Croft handled the pressure without error, scoring a try and setting up three others as the Storm ran away with another piece of silverware.

Cronk 2.0 shines for StormCronk 2.0 shines for Storm1:01
Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

When asked post-match what he wanted to get out of the game, Croft said: “Just to back myself and be confident with my calls and plays.

“I’ve got some world class players around me that really helps. Sometimes you can get a little bit overawed. In the position I play, I’ve got to be dominant and demanding.”

Croft didn’t take long to inject himself into the game, setting up Jesse Bromwich with a lovely soft pass in the 17th minute, before he bagged one himself moments later.

Slater's shoulder scareSlater's shoulder scare0:45
His two other try assists came midway through the second half, first with another short pass to Felise Kaufusi before a cross field kick resulted in a Will Chambers four-pointer.

Fox League expert Mark Gasnier couldn’t help but praise Croft’s outing.

“A+ performance,” Gasnier said.

“He controlled the team with the help of Cameron Smith. He’s got such a composed head for his age.

“Off the back of offloads, Smith went to Croft, he went straight to Will Chambers. He knows his team’s strengths really well and he doesn’t try to overplay his hand.

“He goes to the line and plays straight and takes pressure of Smith when need be. He also defended well which is important for the Storm.”

WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE MATCH CENTRE

If you are overseas, you can stream the 2018 NRL season on demand with Watch NRL. SIGN UP NOW

The victory, however, was somewhat soured with superstar fullback Billy Slater failing to feature in the second half after falling awkwardly on his shoulder on the stroke of halftime.

Melbourne's shaky startMelbourne's shaky start0:30
Concerningly, it was the same shoulder that had kept the veteran sidelined for almost two full seasons.

The Storm reported shortly after the break that Slater had “jarred” his shoulder and it was a precautionary measure to end his night early.

“There was a little bit of pain to start with,” Slater admitted post-match.

“ ... It wasn’t too serious but we’ll just err on the side of caution.

“Hopefully everything’s okay and it’ll be all right in a couple of days.”

The Super League titleholders scored first when they took advantage of successive penalties.

Lock Stevie Ward caught the Storm out on the short side with big winger Ryan Hall diving across in the corner in the ninth minute.

Croft managed to get in on the act soon after when he laid on a perfectly timed pass for prop Jesse Bromwich to charge through the middle to touch down.

The young Queenslander then took on the defence himself with the video referee ruling momentum had carried him over the line to break a 4-4 deadlock.

The home side started to take control of the match and dealt the Rhinos a massive blow right on halftime when Croft found Suliasi Vunivalu.

The winger showed his athleticism as he stepped in and around five Leeds players for their third try and an 18-4 lead.

Brodie Croft of the Storm scores a try during the World Club Challenge.

Leeds’ cause wasn’t helped with the loss of Ward (calf) and fullback Jack Walker (knee), while they arrived in Melbourne down on size after injuries to four props.

— with AAP

NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby NevilleB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 am

Cameron wrote:I reckon the best bet of all time is Leeds at the line with the 22.5 points in; into Redzel in the Lightning Stakes on Saturday paying $3.33.

We are liable to be extremely rusty. and If we get more than two tries infront, Bellamy will take Cam Smith off.

Get On Punters!

Oops :oops:

scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby scriptyx » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 am

Cameron has no idea. I think he is a nice guy and means well but most of his comments are pretty out there.

I was confident that we would win by 20 plus all the way. Never in doubt

bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby bula » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:33 am

Ok so imo Munster in his stint at fullback looked way better than he's ever looked at five eight.

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

Question is are we better with him at fb with Jacks at five eighth or with him at five eighth and Hughes at fb?

Return to “Melbourne Storm”