World Club Challenge

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Re: World Club Challenge

Postby Cameron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:02 pm

It would be better if it was attached to the year it was related to else it is a glorified practice match.

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby TC » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 am

Just an over-hyped preseason game.
For it to have any significance it needs to be played by the same teams soon after the Grand Finals.

Superbowl works (in fact it is the biggest sporting event in the US). If the AFC and NFC winners played a preseason game the next year no one would give a damn. In it's current format the WCC is a complete woftam with the additional bugbear that it means a massive amount of disruption to whichever team plays overseas.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 am

Agreed. The Americans do sport a lot better than us. Imagine Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers winning their respective baseball leagues in September and then playing off in February when they had all been back in preseason camp for 3 weeks. Meanwhile half of both teams are off playing for someone else.

That is why the baseball world series is the world series.

and the rugby league world club challenge cup is just a challenge to organise.

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Scooter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

In the past it has usually been the NRL team that has had the most roster changes from the GF to the WCC. Leeds this year is from memory the English team with the biggest changes to roster.

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:37 pm

They have lost a couple of their gun players.

harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Postby harrigan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 am

Leeds have lost McGuire and Burrow but gained 3 new guys. Myler is a straight replacement for McGuire, as is Dwyer for Burrow for the interchange Hooker role. They've also brought in Nate Peteru from the Titans to see if he can break into the first grade team. He'll probably come off the bench too.

The probable line up will be:

Ashton Golding/Jack Walker
Tom Briscoe
Kallum Watkins
Liam Sutcliffe
Ryan Hall

Joel Moon
Richie Myler

Brad Singleton
Matt Parcell
Mitch Garbutt
Carl Ablett
Stevie Ward
Adam Cuthbertson

Brad Dwyer
Anthony Mullaley
Brett Ferres
Nate Peteru

No one knows who'll be the fullback yet. Golding was the player of the series against the aussie schoolboys a couple of years back and is a great talent but Jack Walker burst on the scene last year and actually ousted Golding just before the playoffs. The kid is only a few months into 18 and looks like he could be a great one.

Other guys to look out for are Kallum Watkins who I believe could be one of the best centres in the world of he moved to the NRL and Stevie Ward. Ward is a future England international. Very much in the same mould of Josh Jackson. Matt Parcell was awesome for Leeds last year too. I know most manly fans were gutted to lose him but their loss was Leeds gain and he excelled in SL

harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Postby harrigan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 am

Leeds were never really in any danger of relegation the year before either. They lost the first game of the season by 2 points and then had a run of injuries with anything between 8 and 12 players missing for the next 15 games or so. Even then, the games they lost, the majority were by 6 or less. Ended up the year winning 10 out of 11 when the guys came back. It was just one of those seasons. Made the young guys better last year too which is probably a lot to do with winning the title again

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 am

With due respect to Leeds, none of the names you have mentioned would scare anyone senseless. And if Melbourne Storm turn up seriously and play with "Storm Pride" and "Storm Passion" taking into account our culture and our standards; we should smash 'em off the park.

harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Postby harrigan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 am

Should, I agree. One thing Leeds have though is a group of young guys who have come through the system together or within a few years of each other. A lot of these kids gave the Kiwis a good game a couple of years back too. A fair few of the guys would fit into the NRL and have a good career too. Watkins made Dugan look stupid on a couple of occasions in the world cup final. I fully expect you guys to win by 20. I expected the aussie teams to win last year too by similar scores though. Super league isn't the same amateur comp it was 10 years ago. There's a lot of talent in it these days. Just needs better coaches IMO

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 am

Dugan is a flog, I wouldn't use him as a benchmark. Watkins is a damn good player though.

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks for the update and good luck in the World Club final. We respect Leeds immensely. Most of us who watch Super League and saw the finals; saw how professional your team is. You kind of are a Super League version of us. We have played you in World Cup finals before and lost so….
Yeah; Respect from the Melbourne Strom Massive!

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 am

I love this Guernsey that Leeds are specially going to wear for the World Club Challenge. I might get one. They look really good. Leeds are taking their journey Down Under very very seriously.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/le ... nge-shirt/

It will be the first time that the Rhinos have contested for the World Club Challenge in Australia, having won their previous three World titles in England.

The special edition shirt takes inspiration from a Leeds shirt back in the 1930s as an alternative to the traditional blue and amber bands.

The Rhinos also wore an predominantly amber kit when they beat Melbourne in 2008 and 2010 in Leeds.

And the jersey features three stars above the club crest to mark the three previous World title victories as well as the dates of each on the inside of the collar. The game details are also printed on the shirt.

The new World Club Challenge logo will also be on the chest.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 am

It's just such a shame about the timing... Rather than going into this match with a strong desire to see the team win, I am more hopeful we escape with no injuries. It shouldn't be that way and it kind of destroys what should be a great spectacle.

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am

Yes, this should be the biggest game of the year. Not a glorified scratch match.

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby TC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Cameron wrote:I love this Guernsey that Leeds are specially going to wear for the World Club Challenge. I might get one. They look really good. Leeds are taking their journey Down Under very very seriously.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/le ... nge-shirt/

Looks like a Parradoesn'tmatta away jersey.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately

Return to “Melbourne Storm”