Cam Smith - 356 Games

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: Cam Smith - 356 Games

Postby yourhero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 am

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-storm/queenslander-and-melbourne-storm-captain-cam-smith-named-victorian-sportsman-of-the-year/news-story/7fa5787cdf677d2eb92ed8a57bceae7b

Queenslander and Melbourne Storm captain Cam Smith named Victorian sportsman of the year

Gilbert Gardiner
Herald Sun
MARCH 14, 2018

A QUEENSLANDER has been crowned Victorian sportsman of the year, with Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith honoured at the Victorian Sport Awards.

A QUEENSLANDER has been crowned Victorian sportsman of the year, with Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith honoured at the Victorian Sport Awards.

Smith, 34, who was born in Brisbane but lived in Melbourne for close to two decades, enjoyed a stunning 2017 campaign, captaining the Storm to the NRL premiership, Queensland to the State of Origin series and Australia to the Rugby League World Cup.

Other winners included: Richmond premiership coach Damien Hardwick as Victorian Coach of the Year, while Winter Olympian Britt Cox claimed Victorian Female Athlete of the Year.

Tour de France champion, Barwon Heads product, Cadel Evans collected the award for Outstanding Contribution to Victorian Sport, while the Victorian Bushrangers were named Team of the Year.

A panel of 32 judges selected the winners across 18 categories from hundreds of nominations.

Victorian Sports Minister John Eren congratulated all the winners last night at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

“Sport is about community. Victoria wouldn’t be the sporting capital without the hard work of our volunteers, players and fans – the very people that make our local clubs tick.”

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 am

Melbourne captain Cameron Smith’s touching advice for axed Storm young gun Brodie Croft

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 50913f1768

MELBOURNE captain Cameron Smith has leapt to the defence of axed young gun Brodie Croft and claimed the rest of the Storm players can share the blame for him being dropped.

Croft was brutally punted by Storm coach Craig Bellamy following last week’s loss to the Wests Tigers in New Zealand.

Croft looked out of sorts and was heavily criticised for his performance against the Tigers, and was replaced in the side by the older Ryley Jacks for round 6.

Jacks looked solid as Melbourne rolled Newcastle, registering two try assists.

And Smith agreed Jacks had enjoyed a good performance when asked about his halfback in the post-game press conference.

But he took the opportunity to throw his support behind youngster Croft, who has stepped up to fill the shoes of champion half Cooper Cronk this year.

“(Croft and Jacks) are two totally different players to start with, let’s get that out there,” Smith began.

“But (Jacks) is an older player, he’s got a more mature head on his shoulders, he’s been around the game longer. So at certain moments in the game, or in certain plays, he tends not to get as flustered.

“In saying that we haven’t helped Crofty with the way we’ve played.

“It is very hard as a No. 7 in our game to come up with big plays when your team is not going forward, they haven’t got field position and we don’t hold the ball.

“That’s on everyone. Crofty hasn’t been putting all the balls down. There’s some errors around him, but who hasn’t made errors in our team this year?

“It’s not have a shot at Crofty night.

“But Jacksy played well tonight and he delivered that for us last year as well in the first half of the year when he was playing in our side, and we got good results around it.

“We’ll see what happens. I think Crofty is in a good frame of mind, he was pretty energetic this week.

Storm press conferenceStorm press conference5:59
“It’s hard to miss selection in the first grade side and go play in the reserve grade side but he will be better for it. He’ll go back there, he won’t feel as much pressure on him, and he can play the way he plays.

“A little reminder to himself if he gets another opportunity at first grade just to come and do that.”

Coach Bellamy gave no hint as to which halfback he would pick for next week’s game against the Broncos in Brisbane.

Bullucked
Squall
Squall

Postby Bullucked » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 pm

They'll get to play together at Origin time. Personally I think Craig was always going to take a 50/50 path with the halves and then they'd come togrther at Origin. I think with Will having an enforced rest the opportunity was right to move Munster to the centres.
For the very limited amount I saw last night did I see Cameron roaming around as a half? Last 20 mins is all I saw and I noted Jesse and particularly NAS taking some fearful hit ups. I almost thought NAS was going to get on to Munster's toe ahead, of course the sly ole fox got there first!

Cameron
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Cameron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/20/the ... e-broncos/

He's played 33 games against them and won 25. He hasn't lost at Suncorp Stadium against the Broncos since 2009 and as captain of Melbourne he's won 10 of 11 games against Brisbane at the venue where he’s also played many great games for Queensland.

Wayne Smith reckons there is a part of his son, as a Broncos supporter as a youth, that instills him with immense pride whenever he takes on Brisbane.

"As much as proving to the Broncos that he took the right pathway it is about proving to himself that he did, and reinforcing that," Wayne said.

"It is not to show them up or to say ‘you didn’t offer me anything’ because they did offer him something and it was exactly the same as Melbourne.

"Suncorp Stadium is his favourite ground to play at and he has a lot of pride in his performance because there are a lot of childhood friends and family that go to watch him.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”