Qualifying Final: Storm vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: Qualifying Final: Storm vs Eels

Postby Mattpoet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 am

Don't forget the multiple high shots

Itzbek the Purple
Squall
Squall

Postby Itzbek the Purple » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

So apparently Locky and Joey have a solution to beating us which is fair enough as they base it upon the two tries scored on the first half. I'm still yet to find any mention of the fact that Munster was in the sin bin at that time so it was 12 on 13. Don't let the facts ruin a good story.

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:16 am

RobbieRoss wrote:Such an approach is worse than classless. It is dangerous. I am heavily involved in junior sport, and the number one problem is criticism of officials. Weak people like Flanagan encourage that sort of criticism by their unjustified whinging. Frankly he is symptomatic of a nasty and increasing streak in our society of people refusing to accept their own errors and seeking to deflect blame to others.

This is so spot on RobbieRoss. So sick of people blaming the refs. For all their faults, at least they are consistent and impact all teams equally. Unless you're the sharks and have a grubby style of play in which case you shouldn't be too confused by the one-sided penalty count. And he questioned the Maloney sin-binning despite the fact that refs have been clamping down on blockers impeding kick-chasers since origin.

RobbieRoss
Squall
Squall

Postby RobbieRoss » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am

Richard Hinds has written an excellent and withering criticism of Flanagan on ABC Online - called his outburst an "appalling diatribe". He served it up to Trent Barrett too. Good stuff.

Storm Spirit
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Storm Spirit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

RobbieRoss wrote:Richard Hinds has written an excellent and withering criticism of Flanagan on ABC Online - called his outburst an "appalling diatribe". He served it up to Trent Barrett too. Good stuff.

yes ...great assessment...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby glennb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:08 pm

I am really getting angry at all the comments about how the Eels were had done by. The photos of storm players off side. Take a photo of any team any game and you will get the same picture. JAC pass was forward, what about eels past for their last try, it was a mile forward. I have read comments that Smith is not square every time he is at marker, look at the Roosters players at maker, they are never staning behind each other. But the best one is the NRL fixed the game to make sure Storm for Cameron Smith's record game. Yes, the NRL fixes games that is why the Sharks won the grand final last year because it was their turn.

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:10 pm

If the Eels were hard done by then how did none of them get charged? Joke!

Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Postby Gaiscioch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Have I missed something here?
What is Freddie on about a forward pass in his Monday Wrap of our Storms game. Watch at 00:47

http://m.nrl.com/freddys-monday-wrap-st ... fault.aspx

I never saw a forward pass other then a deflection off Auva'a.
Maybe he is thinking Scott's pass has gone forward before the deflection? #BlindFreddie
You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:

Deadpool
Squall
Squall

Postby Deadpool » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:25 am

Gaiscioch wrote:Have I missed something here?
What is Freddie on about a forward pass in his Monday Wrap of our Storms game. Watch at 00:47

http://m.nrl.com/freddys-monday-wrap-st ... fault.aspx

I never saw a forward pass other then a deflection off Auva'a.
Maybe he is thinking Scott's pass has gone forward before the deflection? #BlindFreddie

No he and a lot of Eels fans and Sydney folk seem for some reason to think Auva'a didn't touch the ball. But it's pretty clear that he did

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 am

I think their gripe is that Curtis threw the pass forward before it touched Auva'a anyway. It's another 50/50 call and really people in Freddy's position should know better than to bring that up in their summation of the game. There's so much other stuff to talk about from the game and I think it's just lazy to pick out reffing decisions as a point even worth mentioning.

Storm Spirit
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Storm Spirit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:17 am

the last pass to Radrada for him to score was definitely forward....yet no one has raised it....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

That is ALWAYS the way it goes. One team feels that a decision goes against them and if they lose by a small margin, they will blame that decision for deciding the game. It doesn't matter if they received an equally dubious decision in the process (see Radradra's try as above). For the most part, people just feel the need to blame someone. Anyone. As long as it is not their own team.

The game is deeply entrenched in tall-poppy syndrome. On top of that, bagging the refs has somehow formed part of the Rugby League DNA. It will need a significant focus over a long period of time to change that. I don't know whether the code is ready for it to be honest...

Coaches bag the ref
Players bag the ref
Media personalities blame the ref
Fans blame the ref

No other sporting code in the world has such a focus on the officiating. Union is similar - I would argue with scrums and line-outs, have more room for ref interpretation but their game gets by with the refs seemingly invisible.

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:25 am

^^ Spot on.

Bullucked
Squall
Squall

Postby Bullucked » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am

yourhero wrote:Bagging the refs has somehow formed part of the Rugby League DNA. It will need a significant focus over a long period of time to change that. I don't know whether the code is ready for it to be honest...

Coaches bag the ref
Players bag the ref
Media personalities blame the ref
Fans blame the ref

No other sporting code in the world has such a focus on the officiating. Union is similar - I would argue with scrums and line-outs, have more room for ref interpretation but their game gets by with the refs seemingly invisible.

Agreed totally and it needs a massive change, disgraceful the way it currently is. Gerard Whateley ABC commentator even mentioned yesterday about Flanagans press conference "in a typically NRL way" and treated it with disdain. Maybe also a symptom of The Daily Telegraph readers psyche spreading across all medias.
The RaRa set are a bit more genteel and hence don't buy into bagging the ref's as much.
I watched Freddies Monday wrap and jeez didn't he crucify us. I hope we're on our utmost best behaviour in two weeks (and win) as we don't need to give the bastards any extra ammunition for the big one.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”