No one is irreplaceable.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

No one is irreplaceable.

Postby TC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Storm don't re-sign Swain

It's an article from 2002. Most interesting quote in the article is by Ian Sibbit. "It's a very sad loss for the club. To be honest, I think he's probably irreplaceable."
Our replacement hooker was a second string halfback named Smith.

At a time when the big three are getting close to retirement, it makes you wonder how exciting the future might be.
The difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers is that mechanical engineers
design weapons, while civil engineers design targets.

Bullucked
Squall
Squall

Re: No one is irreplaceable.

Postby Bullucked » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Nice catch and a nice read, I didn't / don't remember this happening (it was 15 years ago!) One sentence further into the article;
It's expected as many as seven players may have to front the Tigers board this week over the Craig Bellamy affair last week.
What was this all about, anyone remember?

Deadpool
Squall
Squall

Postby Deadpool » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Bullucked wrote:Nice catch and a nice read, I didn't / don't remember this happening (it was 15 years ago!) One sentence further into the article;
It's expected as many as seven players may have to front the Tigers board this week over the Craig Bellamy affair last week.

I'm not sure but I do believe the Tigers were going to hire Bellamy before the Storm did. Could have something to do with why he didn't end up there. Just a guess tho

Ice
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Ice » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:27 pm

I think at the time most of us thought got WTF were the the club thinking in letting Swain go and handing over the reins to this young skinny bloke with little to no first grade experience. Was more than happy to be proven wrong :lol:

bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby bula » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Bullucked wrote:Nice catch and a nice read, I didn't / don't remember this happening (it was 15 years ago!) One sentence further into the article;

I'm guessing when Bellamy first was noticed beating the Tigers with the Baby Broncos?
Back on topic, I felt the same with Smith but more so with Orford being replaced by Cronk. Couldn't understand it at the time and was wishing we signed Craig Gower but glad I'm not the coach.
Seriously, we replaced quality players with greats!
Swain for Smith, Ross for Slater and Orford for Cronk.
Out of the big three only Slater caught my eye but at no stage (early on) did I see him becoming the player we know now.

bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby bula » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Ice wrote:I think at the time most of us thought got WTF were the the club thinking in letting Swain go and handing over the reins to this young skinny bloke with little to no first grade experience. Was more than happy to be proven wrong :lol:

Dare say I don't think anyone on this forum thought we had arguably the games greatest player next in line.
I know I thought (even at 15) Cameron Smith wasn't first grade material because he was too slow and had no impact. LAUGH MY FREAKIN ARSE OFF!

LESStar58
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby LESStar58 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 am

Yeah. Sheens almost ended up here but went to Tiepies instead IIRC.

steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby steaming stormer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Makes me laugh reading that article - my handle on here is because I was steaming at the Club for the decision to let Richie go... thought it was a horrible decision. How wrong could I have been haha

Return to “Melbourne Storm”