2018 Playing Roster

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: 2018 Playing Roster

Postby sallymay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Also signed Billy Walters

And Easts Tigers signed Dave Tyrell from Souths ...wonder if that comes with a storm pre season or if Bellamy or Frank have their eye on him

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

Mattpoet wrote:Croft is supposedly good at it

Yes Croft is very good at it based on what I've seen of him so far. My concern is that if he goes down then we don't have a similar style playmaker as backup.

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 am

yourhero wrote:The coaching staff play a huge role in that. Doesn't matter how good the halfback is at organising, if the team are bunched around the ruck there is not a lot of time to tell everyone where to be. The players need to know their formations and the kinds of situations they need to be in formation. The coaches need to (and must) drill that in to them every week.

Totally agree with that but someone needs to be on the field to call which attacking plays and defensive formations to follow in a given situation. This lets the team adapt on the fly.

I've got total confidence in the coaching staff in being able to support the halves to get there. It will be interesting to see who steps up to the mark and how well they do if our first string organisers are missing for whatever reason.

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm curious as to the plan for Drinkwater

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Scooter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm

So there have been reports in the media that we have signed Billy Walters and Lachlan Timm. Although not officially announced by the Storm. So based on that and the number of players leaving there are 3 or 4 spots left. Although with the Under 20s going there are changes to squad numbers.

Anyone heard of anyone else (including 2017 Under 20s players) who may have been signed / are likely to be signed to our first grade squad.

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Mattpoet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

I'd suggest Geraghty, Finau and Grant will all be there.

RobbieRoss
Squall
Squall

Postby RobbieRoss » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Mattpoet wrote:I'm curious as to the plan for Drinkwater

My guess is they were thinking potentially at 6 , with Munster at 1 when Bill retires. He played mainly at 6 in Qcup. However Hughes did so well at FB this season, that they may leave Munster at 6. Not sure where that leaves Scott Drinkwater.

ALX22
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby ALX22 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Soper-Lawler included?

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby TC » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Danger D wrote:
yourhero wrote:The coaching staff play a huge role in that. Doesn't matter how good the halfback is at organising, if the team are bunched around the ruck there is not a lot of time to tell everyone where to be. The players need to know their formations and the kinds of situations they need to be in formation. The coaches need to (and must) drill that in to them every week.

Totally agree with that but someone needs to be on the field to call which attacking plays and defensive formations to follow in a given situation. This lets the team adapt on the fly.

I've got total confidence in the coaching staff in being able to support the halves to get there. It will be interesting to see who steps up to the mark and how well they do if our first string organisers are missing for whatever reason.

This is one of the most under-rated aspects of Billy's game. He directs from the back better than anyone I have ever seen
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:50 am

Most definitely. I hope that's a part of his game he really works to develop among our younger players.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”