The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby Scooter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Only been with Star for one year, would be very unusual for an apparel deal not to last longer than one year.

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby absentee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Scooter wrote:Only been with Star for one year, would be very unusual for an apparel deal not to last longer than one year.


Yeah, it's weird. When I read recently that Collingwood was rumoured to be jumping from Star I was quite surprised considering how integral Collingwood was to the launch of the Star brand. All Star gear on the Collingwood website is heavily discounted - so that suggests it might be true. Star has been discounting a lot of our stuff as well but it's not across the board.

If it's true that we're leaving Star after only the first year of a five year deal there must be some serious issues - serious enough that they allow the club to walk. Perhaps the club is losing money because Star seems to be unable to get product into stores like Rebel. Both of my local Rebel stores have more BLK gear left over from last year (Thunderbolts jerseys, Nines jerseys) and Classic retro gear (1998 retro jerseys and hoodies) than they do 2016 gear. They have a few home jerseys and that's it - one has a couple of Nines jerseys. Same with Collingwood - a few guernseys and nothing else.

Then again, it might not be true at all. Often rumours like this do turn out to be true, though. Us going to Star started as a rumour as well.

User avatar
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 2014
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: balls deep in your love...
Contact:

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby LESStar58 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:46 pm

absentee wrote:There's a rumour on LU that Storm is moving from Star to ISC next year. Apparently the club has lost money through the partnership. I've also heard from elsewhere that Collingwood (also with Star) are moving to ISC next year as well. Don't know where the rumour came from but I see you post there LESStar58 (I only lurk) - think you can question it?


Pretty much the same thing being said at LU. Nothing substantiated.

User avatar
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 2014
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: balls deep in your love...
Contact:

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby LESStar58 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:49 pm

absentee wrote:
Scooter wrote:Only been with Star for one year, would be very unusual for an apparel deal not to last longer than one year.


Yeah, it's weird. When I read recently that Collingwood was rumoured to be jumping from Star I was quite surprised considering how integral Collingwood was to the launch of the Star brand. All Star gear on the Collingwood website is heavily discounted - so that suggests it might be true. Star has been discounting a lot of our stuff as well but it's not across the board.

If it's true that we're leaving Star after only the first year of a five year deal there must be some serious issues - serious enough that they allow the club to walk. Perhaps the club is losing money because Star seems to be unable to get product into stores like Rebel. Both of my local Rebel stores have more BLK gear left over from last year (Thunderbolts jerseys, Nines jerseys) and Classic retro gear (1998 retro jerseys and hoodies) than they do 2016 gear. They have a few home jerseys and that's it - one has a couple of Nines jerseys. Same with Collingwood - a few guernseys and nothing else.

Then again, it might not be true at all. Often rumours like this do turn out to be true, though. Us going to Star started as a rumour as well.


My local Rebel still has 2014 Nines jerseys and home and away jerseys.... at full price!

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby absentee » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:20 pm

The club store has 20% off all apparel for members this month. That's both Storm and Collingwood (both Star) with heavily discounted gear. Where there's smoke there's fire.

User avatar
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 2014
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: balls deep in your love...
Contact:

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby LESStar58 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 pm

absentee wrote:The club store has 20% off all apparel for members this month. That's both Storm and Collingwood (both Star) with heavily discounted gear. Where there's smoke there's fire.


Grand. Will wait until end of year when they hopefully have an even bigger sale!

Also, who saw Cam in the WIL jersey? Again, the on field is different from the retail. Sponsored by Ovarian Cancer Research.

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby absentee » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Kinda defeats the purpose of selling them if they're not going to be the same as the on-field version. I probably would have bought a Nines jersey if it was properly sponsored.

If we're going to wear a jersey for Women in League round I'd much rather something more subtle. Why not have it the same as the home jersey but with a pinkish-purple colour in place of the regular purple?

User avatar
tugga
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am
Location: The Graveyard

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby tugga » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:05 pm

I hope Star is gone for good after this season.
Horrible merchandise. (in my opinion of course)

User avatar
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby yourhero » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Really? Took an eternity to arrive but the stuff I got was much higher quality than previous manufacturers. Design is better on a fair few items too (IMO).

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby absentee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:20 pm

The quality of Star's gear is good but the design of the off-field gear is fairly unimpressive. I don't expect too much or anything particularly fancy for that stuff but they could have done a lot more.

I hope this is the last year we go with black off-field gear. Navy and purple please.

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby absentee » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Called it. Tigerair replaces SpotJobs below the collar starting tonight and running through to the end of 2020.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2016/08/15/tigerair_further_cem.html

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby absentee » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:45 pm

From today's Herald Sun. Relevant part for us bolded.

Collingwood is poised to sign a major new apparel deal for next year and beyond after ending its association with Star Athletic.

The company has kitted the Magpies since 2013, when the gear was trumpeted as the first 'purpose-built' AFL range.

Star Athletic will also cease its sponsorship of NRL minor premier Melbourne Storm at the end of the year as it looks to funnel more sponsorship dollars to individual sports stars.

Collingwood has accepted an offer from a rival manufacturer that Star would not match.


Supposedly Star isn't making any money through its apparel deals. Surely they would have known it would all be too much for them prior to signing a five year deal with us. Dumb.

Bring on ISC.

User avatar
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:08 pm

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby Kettles » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Oh puh-lease - none of those spangly little jazz ballet ISC dots, thanks.

User avatar
tugga
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am
Location: The Graveyard

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby tugga » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:04 am

Thank god Star is gone.

User avatar
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Posts: 2014
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: balls deep in your love...
Contact:

Re: The Jerseys, Merchandise and Sponsorship Thread

Postby LESStar58 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:15 pm

absentee wrote:From today's Herald Sun. Relevant part for us bolded.

Collingwood is poised to sign a major new apparel deal for next year and beyond after ending its association with Star Athletic.

The company has kitted the Magpies since 2013, when the gear was trumpeted as the first 'purpose-built' AFL range.

Star Athletic will also cease its sponsorship of NRL minor premier Melbourne Storm at the end of the year as it looks to funnel more sponsorship dollars to individual sports stars.

Collingwood has accepted an offer from a rival manufacturer that Star would not match.


Supposedly Star isn't making any money through its apparel deals. Surely they would have known it would all be too much for them prior to signing a five year deal with us. Dumb.

Bring on ISC.


Brilliant. Cheap gear at the end of the season. Got my Napier jersey for something like 40 bucks last year!


Return to “Melbourne Storm”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests