Billy set to announce retirement

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: Billy set to announce retirement

Postby yourhero » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Our favourite son has apparently taken a Leadership Mentoring role at St Kilda, similar to what Maxwell did with us a few years back.

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby sallymay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 pm

I’m actually I’m shock haha I did not see that coming...I think I love it

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Great get by Saints. You’d find few ex players in any code with better credentials to advise on leadership.

RobbieRoss
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby RobbieRoss » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm

As a long-suffering Saints fan, I am absolutely stoked by this appointment.

I have just been over in the Saints fan website , to see the reaction there. I was a bit concerned they would be a bit negative, but on the contrary, there is huge recognition of his talent, work ethic and positive image. They recognise that he will command great respect from the players and will lift the professionalism at the club.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 am

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10-10/billy-slater-is-with-st-kilda

Billy Slater is with St Kilda
saints.com.au
October 10, 2018

St Kilda Football Club is excited to announce the addition of Billy Slater to the club’s football program.

The recently-retired Melbourne Storm superstar will be heavily involved with the Saints’ leadership and development programs through a newly-created role.

Regarded as one of the NRL’s greatest players and one of the key leaders of Melbourne Storm’s revered culture, Slater will work closely with all players, coaches and high-performance staff at the Saints.

The part-time position will see him play a mentoring role with the club’s leaders, while also imparting his views and experiences in relation to professionalism, training standards and match-day performance across the whole playing group.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Slater’s appointment was a major coup for the club.

“Billy’s sporting resume is second to none, and he will add great value to our club,” Lethlean said.

“He’s been an impressive leader in his own right, but he’s also been a key member of a culture that is highly respected across all sports.

“Over the course of the season, we identified that there was an opportunity to strengthen our leadership and development programs, and we think Billy can play an important role in that.

“He will work closely with our current leaders as well as our emerging leaders to help them develop their leadership capacity and optimise their professionalism and performance.”

Slater is expected to the begin the part-time role early in the pre-season.

bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby bula » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Awesome news.

Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Ice » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Good on him and I'm sure he'll bring plenty to the Saints, especially given they've lost plenty of old heads in recent seasons and are rebuilding. As a Pies fan I'd have loved him to go there but great to see the AFL clubs are seeing what the NRL clubs/players have to offer just as we have from them over the years.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 am

So I never followed AFL growing up (Western Sydney - RL is life) and as a result, have had a hard time as an adult attaching myself emotionally to an AFL team. I enjoy the game itself and spent a few years in Adelaide going to Crows games regularly but it was just never even close to the same feeling as supporting the Storm... This might give me the draw I need to start following a team.

Whilst I don't doubt the intent of Billy's use at the club to help out with leadership, culture and professional approach - the potential to use Billy's standing in NRL and Australian Sport, for the Saints to engage with a new fan base was probably appealing too.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 am

Just saw Saints social media team welcoming all Storm fans on board :lol:

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby TC » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:52 pm

yourhero wrote:Just saw Saints social media team welcoming all Storm fans on board :lol:

Makes sense.

Storm should be playing that game both ways.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately

Bullucked
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Bullucked » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:25 pm

St Kilda = The Party Boys, Billy has a lot of history to overcome. Good luck to him.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”