Rd 2 vs Wests Tigers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: Rd 2 vs Wests Tigers

Postby Mattpoet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Jacks not being in the 21 at all is surprising.

tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby tugga » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 pm

I loved Olympic Park because you could stand up and wtach the game. Can't do that at AAMI.

Bullucked
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Bullucked » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

The team, I feel bitterly disappointed for Ryley Jacks as I rate him very highly, but of course, who do you leave out?

The Graveyard, in a word, Nostalgia. Things I miss:
The donut van INSIDE the ground
The sea of contraband tinnies that ended up under our feet in the standing area
The terraces
The smell of the odd sly ciggy (I'm a non smoker but it just added something)
The jumping castle and mud slides down the back of the stands (finally my son is old enough to come along and all that has been washed away)
Drifting showers and ice cold winds coming off the Yarra (still get the drifting showers now, nowhere seems safe - except up in the nosebleeds)
The old 'traditional' scoreboard
That bloke who used to yell out in the thick Pommie accent "Mander yer tosser"
The after match in the bowels of the old grandstand that used to be for the old Greyhound track
Hanging around the back of the main grandstand as the players, officials and commentators wandered past
I'm sure I'll think of others...

What I don't miss:
Those dreadful toilets
Needing to get there early or to arrange someone to reserve 'our spot'
The occasional fights breaking out on the terraces (thinking particularly Anzac Day clashes)
No protection whatsoever in the main grandstand from the weather
Knees up around your shoulders in the Eastern Grandstand

Different time, different era. A bit like trying to compare players from different era's, in my opinion impossible.

Bring on the Tiggers.

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby TC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Bullucked wrote:The team, I feel bitterly disappointed for Ryley Jacks as I rate him very highly, but of course, who do you leave out?

The Graveyard, in a word, Nostalgia. Things I miss:
The donut van INSIDE the ground
The sea of contraband tinnies that ended up under our feet in the standing area
The terraces
The smell of the odd sly ciggy (I'm a non smoker but it just added something)
The jumping castle and mud slides down the back of the stands (finally my son is old enough to come along and all that has been washed away)
Drifting showers and ice cold winds coming off the Yarra (still get the drifting showers now, nowhere seems safe - except up in the nosebleeds)
The old 'traditional' scoreboard
That bloke who used to yell out in the thick Pommie accent "Mander yer tosser"
The after match in the bowels of the old grandstand that used to be for the old Greyhound track
Hanging around the back of the main grandstand as the players, officials and commentators wandered past
I'm sure I'll think of others...

What I don't miss:
Those dreadful toilets
Needing to get there early or to arrange someone to reserve 'our spot'
The occasional fights breaking out on the terraces (thinking particularly Anzac Day clashes)
No protection whatsoever in the main grandstand from the weather
Knees up around your shoulders in the Eastern Grandstand

Different time, different era. A bit like trying to compare players from different era's, in my opinion impossible.

Bring on the Tiggers.

As a long term member of the original Bai Stand (aka the hill in the North East corner of OP) you're bringing a nostalgic tear to my eye.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately

RobbieRoss
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby RobbieRoss » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:18 am

Ah the donut van. My kids were born in 90, 93 and 95, so the first stop once we arrived ( having parked in that car park right next to the eastern entrance ) was the donut van ( or sometimes the jumping castle then the donut van ).

Storm Man being an absolute hoon on his motor bike on the Aths track was another highlight.

I certainly do not miss the toilets. Taking a young child in there was not a highlight.

Overall a venue of great character, but I am very proud of the venue we have now.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 am

Tigers Line Up

1 Tuimoala Lolohea
2 Corey Thompson
3 Esan Marsters
4 Kevin Naiqama
5 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
6 Benji Marshall
7 Luke Brooks
8 Russell Packer
9 Pita Godinet
10 Ben Matulino
11 Chris Lawrence
12 Robbie Rochow
13 Elijah Taylor

14 Matt McIlwrick
15 Alex Twal
16 Michael Chee Kam
17 Matthew Eisenhuth

18 Josh Aloiai
19 David Nofoaluma
20 Tim Grant
21 Tyson Gamble

Ben Matulino is named to start with Matt Eisenhuth on the bench in the only change to the 17 that defeated the Roosters last week.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 am

That side is average - even more so than the Dogs.

Matulino starting gives their starting pack something but their bench is very weak. As long as we play somewhere in the realm of our potential, we should account for the Tigers quite easily.

Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Cameron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am

While I don't necessary not agree with you; remember they beat the so called super side in the Roosters.

So West Tigers will be buoyant and confident. They are playing with good spirit.

We need to play at our best. hopefully rise for the milestone game.

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am

Cameron wrote:While I don't necessary not agree with you; remember they beat the so called super side in the Roosters.

So West Tigers will be buoyant and confident. They are playing with good spirit.

We need to play at our best. hopefully rise for the milestone game.

I agree, we need to aim up and can't just expect to win because of a perceived weaker line-up. The Roosters proved that.

Having said that, the Tigers played smart Round 1 footy. They held onto the ball. They defended well. They offloaded and they earned repeat sets. The Roosters did the opposite. The Tigers definitely deserved to win but I don't think we can read a whole lot into the result.

Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Postby Danger D » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am

Not to take anything away from their performance, but the Tigers were a bit lucky in getting the roosters early in the season while they were still working on the combinations within their new spine.
I don't see them surprising us in Billy's 300th game though. We usually put in a little extra when our big guys have milestones so I fully expect a flogging.

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby blazza18 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

Roosters pack is under the radar not great when the going gets tough and the Tigers handled them quite well.

Reckon if they come in and play positive footy they can beat us. Think they'll need to score points to have a legit shot at us though.

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby sallymay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 pm

the thing I miss the most from the graveyard was spending up to 2 hours after the game waiting around meeting the players ... watching them walk from Olympic park into the pool and back to the changeroom ...the opposition team would leave around the same time so meeting them was always fun

i think this is the first time in ages ive been excited for a game

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:27 pm

One final point on the whole Graveyard/AAMI Park side-point...

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2018/03/09/aami-park-shortlisted-for-venue-of-the-year/

AAMI Park shortlisted for Venue of the Year
melbournestorm.com.au
Fri 9 Mar 2018

Melbourne Storm’s home, AAMI Park has been shortlisted for Venue of the Year at TheStadiumBusiness Awards.

TheStadiumBusiness Awards recognises leadership, innovation & achievement in the delivery, operation and management of sports facilities globally.

AAMI Park, built in 2010 sits on a shortlist of six finalists for the award alongside stadiums from across the globe. Perth’s newly built Optus Stadium is the only other Australian venue to make the shortlist.

2018 Venue of the Year Award
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
- Optus Stadium, Perth, Australia
- CenturyLink Field, Seattle, USA
- Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK
- AAMI Park, Melbourne, Australia
- Little Caesars Arena, Detroit, USA

The winner will be decided by a judging panel and announced at the 2018 Awards ceremony to be held at Old Trafford in Manchester on June 12.

---

I 100% get the whole nostalgia thing. It was our first home. The RL outpost in hostile territory growing to be one of, if not the best sporting brand in the country.

However if the Graveyard were to be nominated for some kind of "Stadium Award", I image it would be competing with;
- Brookvale Oval
- Millwall, The Den
- Eaglevale St Andrews JRLFC

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby yourhero » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

Lolohea is out with a knee injury for the game Saturday night. The Tigers are expected to shift Corey Thompson to fullback and bring David Nofoaluma onto the right wing.

Storm Spirit
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby Storm Spirit » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:15 am

I know the Tigers played well to shut down the Roosters last week,.....

but seriously, if Storm can't find the game plan, energy, commitment, mental application, dedication and will power to beat the Tigers on Saturday night (whether by 1 point or 20 points), then our whole club needs to take a look at itself..
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time

Return to “Melbourne Storm”